New worlds await you, whether near or far, and travel is the way to open the door to unexpected sights, sounds and experiences. Though it can be intimidating on some levels, travel need not be stressful if you take some tips beforehand from those who have tread the paths before you. A few bits of knowledge will go a long way in preparing you for an unforgettable trip. For several people, travel by plane sometimes make confused and worried.
1. You can go luggage free. It will save a lot of time and unnecessary travel. You can have your belongings sent to your destination via UPS or FedEx. Although this may cost a bit more money, is it worth it in the long run.
2. Dress for security. Avoid metal in your clothing, don’t wear metal jewelry or other accessories, wear easily-removed layers, and choose sandals or slip-ons over sneakers. This will make your trip through the security checkpoint go smoother, and make it easier to get yourself re-organized afterward.
3. Chew gum if you have ear discomfort on the plane. When an airplane takes off or lands, pressure changes in the cabin can cause your ears to feel uncomfortable and stuffy – and may lead to a painful pop when the pressure finally normalizes. To avoid this, chew gum during these pressure changes. Jaw motion as you chew prevents pressure from building in the ear canal and you will be more comfortable.
4. A useful item to pack for your flight, inside your carry-on bag, is a fleece blanket with sleeves. It can keep you warm on a cool plane, while still allowing you to hold your book or magazine. It can also be rolled up and used as a travel pillow.
5. Bring your own pillow to achieve the best rest possible on the plane. Use the pillows that are provided to you for back support, as these are more firm and uncomfortable to lie on for long periods of time. This will aid in providing the rest that you need on your trip.
6. Allow the middle seat to have both armrests. With common plane configurations containing four armrests for three seats (and eight arms), it can be confusing determining who gets to put their arms where. Airplane etiquette dictates that since the middle seat is the least desirable, and as such it is a kindness to allow that person both armrests. Nobody likes to get stuck in the middle seat, so try to be understanding.
7. Don’t forget to purchase some antibiotic ointment and cotton swabs. Before you leave to catch your flight, put a generous amount of the ointment on the inside of your nose. It keeps out the germs and helps prevent you from getting sick. It also keeps your nose from drying out.